Monday, February 11, 2013

On Sunday, January 28, 2013 my mother Euticia Marin, who is 80 years; was brought to the Brampton Civic Hospital by ambulance due to severe vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration.
Arrival time at the hospital 7:30am.

Upon arriving at the hospital my mother was violently sick and consequently vomited all over her nightgown and bathrobe. She had to change to the hospital gown and was put on a wheelchair with an intravenous drip. She was very cold and kept telling the nurses this. Finally a nurse gave her a warm blanket to wrap herself with and she was a bit warmer because she had been shaking from the cold. I have to say at this point in time and one of my main concerns; my mother was put on a wheel chair in the hallway. ALL DAY, till discharged at 11:00pm
How is it possible that elderly patients are put on chairs to wait like animals in this “new” hospital with so much room? This is completely outrageous and unacceptable.
Then, another nurse came by and literally took the warm blankets from my mother and put them in the soiled bin. My mother tried to ask her why she took them away and she replied that she didn’t need them. I was not able to be with my mother at the hospital prior to 4:30pm but needless to say; the nurse that took the blankets from my Mom would not have done so if I was present.
How inconsiderate of a hospital worker to do something like that to an elderly person, especially when they are defenseless and very sick.
My mother had some tests done. She was told that a CAT scan was scheduled for 1:30pm. She only had the scan at 4:00pm
We waited all afternoon and night for the results of the scan. Attending nurses and several doctors promised that the results should momentarily arrive.
Finally, at about 9:30pm upon receiving the results, I see the doctor and several nurses converging around my Mom’s chart. Then we are told that the doctor has asked the radiology department to re-read the scan and send another report.

A verbal report was given to the doctor at 10:30pm and she gave us the results. I was reassured that all the hospital records and tests results were going to be sent to the family doctor Monday, Jan. 28 morning. These were only received on Wednesday, February 06 after several calls to the Health Records; reports were then received at the doctor’s office.

I also would like to add that my sister from California has left several messages to Amy Whidden at the Patient Relations department to speak to her with regards to my mother’s treatment at the hospital and to this day she has never received a call back.

Finally, I discussed with the discharging doctor, Dr. Sohan if she could get someone from social services or patient care to call me with regards to care for my mother at home. Dr. Sohan took by cell no. and said that someone will contact me on Monday, Jan. 27. No call so far…………….

I am appalled and disgusted at the treatment my mother received at Brampton Civic Hospital; it’s a complete disgrace to humanity. The hospital is sure not living up to their “Mission Vision”


Stella M. Muscatello